Tuesday, October 21, 2014

HIV/AIDS Among Black and Hispanic Men

The AIDS epidemic in America is quickly becoming concentrated among black and Hispanic poor men who have sex with men. Despite the years of progress with preventing and treating HIV among the middle class, the number of new infections per year remains fixed at 50,000, and it is found more and more in these men that make up a very small percent of the population. 


In New York City, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the city’s health department, 45% of new infections are found in black and Hispanic men, and nationally it is 25%. Additionally, when only men under 25 infected through gay sex are counted, nationally, 80% of them are black or Hispanic. Critics say that not much is being done to save and help this group, and nothing is being done with great urgency. Federal and state officials agreed, saying that it took years to shift prevention messages away from only men that frequent gay bars, many of whom are white and middle class, as well as heterosexual teens, who are already at a relatively low risk. These are the targets that were chosen 30 years ago for such messages, and the field needed to be broadened and updated. Part of the problem is that the funding for health agencies has been minimal, and there has not been much political pressure to concentrate on young gay blacks and Hispanics. 
Dr. Jonathan Mermin, the director of HIV prevention at the C.D.C. says that they are working on reaching those men, and his agency has created a Testing Makes Us Stronger campaign, which can be viewed using this link, http://hivtest.cdc.gov/stronger/, and has granted millions of dollars to local health departments and community groups for testing. Despite this, he was unable to name a city or state with a proven success in lowering the infection rates in young gay minority men. A part of this is that they need more resources in order to bring it to fruition. 



In addition, gay black youths are difficult to reach. Few of them have come out to their families, many live in areas where gays are stigmatized and cannot afford to move, and few attend schools that have gay pride clubs or gay guidance counselors or other such avenues for education on the subject. According to a big C.D.C.-led study, a male-male sex act is eight times more likely to end in an HIV infection for young black Americans as it is for their white peers. This appears to be true, despite the fact that black youths, on average, took fewer risks than white peers; they had fewer partners, engaged in fewer acts of sex while under the influence of alcohol or drugs, and used condoms more frequently. 
There are, however, other risk factors that play a part. For example, lacking health insurance generally means that they will be less likely to have seen doctors on a regular basis, and more likely to have syphilis, which creates a path for HIV. Another crucial factor is that more of their partners are older black men, who are more likely to have untreated HIV than older white men. Among the poor, untreated or inadequately treated HIV is the norm, not the exception, according to Perry N. Halkitis, professor of psychology and public health at NYU. 
According to C.D.C., 79% of HIV-infected black men who have sex with men and 74% of Hispanic men who have sex with men, are not “virally suppressed,” which means they can transmit the infection, either because they are not yet on antiretroviral drugs or they are not taking them daily. Experts say missed doses allow the virus to rebound, sometimes in drug-resistant strands. In addition, about 20% of the 1.1 million people living with HIV in the U.S. are undiagnosed, which means they are also not accessing the necessary care and treatment to stay healthy. 


The scattered programs that offer housing, legal, medical help and other services are not enough to bring about the desired change in the rate of HIV infections, because the national response is hesitant. Not many black political or religious leaders regularly speak about this problem, with just a few exceptions, and although programs to help have been proposed and tested, few have been widely adopted.
Moving forward, finding the means to educate this group of men which is so highly affected, and providing resources and guidance for help, is absolutely necessary. The percentage of gay black and Hispanic men with HIV is disproportionately large in light of the percentage of the U.S. population that they make up. This needs to be addressed with more urgency and consistency, and the groups that are being targeted for prevention messages needs to be broadened, so that minorities get the same attention surrounding this issue that white men do.


Works Cited:

  1. "HIV/AIDS Care Continuum." HIV/AIDS Care Continuum. N.p., n.d. Web. 21 Oct. 2014. <http://aids.gov/federal-resources/policies/care-continuum/>.
2. "HIV/AIDS Four Hour Update for the Healthcare Professional." AID/HIV 4 Hour Nursing Continuing Education Course Provided Free by CEUFast. N.p., n.d. Web. 20 Oct. 2014. <http://www.ceufast.com/course/aids-hiv-4hr/>.

3. "Latinos and HIV/AIDS." Kaiser Family Foundation. N.p., n.d. Web. 20 Oct. 2014. <http://kff.org/hivaids/fact-sheet/latinos-and-hivaids/>.

4. Mcneil, Donald G. "Poor Black and Hispanic Men Are the Face of H.I.V." The New York Times. The New York Times, 04 Dec. 2013. Web. 20 Oct. 2014. <http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/05/us/poor-black-and-hispanic-men-are-face-of-hiv.html?pagewanted=1>.

6 comments:

  1. Great article. I had heard that African-Americans were overrepresented in new HIV cases but had no idea that it had gotten this bad. This is a broader facet of the poorer medical care that Hispanic and black Americans recieve. At least HIV is not a death sentence like it was 20 years ago. There are new drugs out, like Truvada, that are very effective at combating HIV, but they are also very expensive. As a result Black and Hispanic men are less likely to recieve them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was having Herpes Simplex Virus then i came across a review of people saying that they got treated from Herpes Simplex Virus by Dr VOODOO., So i gave a try by contacting him through his email and explain my problem to him. He send natural medicine herbs to me and told me all the things I need to do and also give me instructions to take the medicine, which I followed properly. Before I knew what is happening after two weeks the HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS that was in my body got vanished . so if you are also heart broken by any deadly diseases like HERPES HIV, shingles,low sperm count or bringing back your ex lover, this great man is extremely the best in which I have seen if you also need a help, you can also email him at voodoospelltemple66@gmail.com Add Dr voodoo on whatsApp +2348140120719

      Delete
  2. My name is Eliana Maurice from United Kingdom, i never believed that Herbal medicine can cure HIV AIDS until the very day i came in contact with DR OVIA. He prepared a powerful herbal medicine for me and He sent the herbal medicine to me through air freight courier service and immediately the herbal medicine gets to me, i used it, in just three days, i went to a near by hospital for medical checkup and the tested stated that i was HIV negative. I am so happy now and i want to tell the world that DR OVIA is a real and his herbal medicine is very fast in action and is very powerful without any side affects, So anybody willing to contact him should contact him via his email id: droviasolutioncenter@yahoo.com or droviasolutioncenter@gmail.com
    Website: droviaosolutioncenter.webs.com
    Phone number: +2348054049995

    ReplyDelete
  3. HOW I GOT MY EX HUSBAND BACK WITH THE HELP OF REAL AND EFFECTIVE SPELL FROM DR Osasu My name is Olivia Jayden, I never thought I will smile again, My husband left me with two kids for one year, All effort to bring him back failed I thought I'm not going to see him again not until I met a lady called Jesse who told me about a spell caster called Dr. Osasu , She gave me his email address and mobile number and I contacted him and he assured me that within 48hours my husband will come back to me, In less than 48hours my husband came back started begging for forgiveness saying it is the devils work, so I'm still surprise till now about this miracle,i couldn't conceive but as soon as the spell was cast,i became pregnant and gave birth to my third child,if you need any assistance from him you can contact him via:email: drosasu25@gmail.com Or WhatsApp or call him now:
    +2347064365391 . Dr.Osasu also cures: 1. HIV / AIDS 2. HERPES 1/2 3. CANCER 4. ALS (Lou Gehrig’s disease) 5. Hepatitis B

    ReplyDelete
  4. HOW I GOT MY EX HUSBAND BACK WITH THE HELP OF REAL AND EFFECTIVE SPELL FROM DR Osasu My name is Olivia Jayden, I never thought I will smile again, My husband left me with two kids for one year, All effort to bring him back failed I thought I'm not going to see him again not until I met a lady called Jesse who told me about a spell caster called Dr. Osasu , She gave me his email address and mobile number and I contacted him and he assured me that within 48hours my husband will come back to me, In less than 48hours my husband came back started begging for forgiveness saying it is the devils work, so I'm still surprise till now about this miracle,i couldn't conceive but as soon as the spell was cast,i became pregnant and gave birth to my third child,if you need any assistance from him you can contact him via:email: drosasu25@gmail.com Or WhatsApp or call him now:
    +2347064365391 . Dr.Osasu also cures: 1. HIV / AIDS 2. HERPES 1/2 3. CANCER 4. ALS (Lou Gehrig’s disease) 5. Hepatitis B

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was diagnosed of herpes 3 years, and ever since then i have been taking treatment to prevent outbreaks, burning and blisters, but there was no improvement until i came across testimonies of Dr. VOODOO on how he has been curing different people from different diseases all over the world, then i contacted him. After our conversation he sent me the medicine which i took according to his instructions for up to 2 weeks. After completing the medication i went back to my doctor for another test and the virus was all gone and i was completely cured, since then i have not had any signs of outbreak. I'm so filled with joy. With herbal medication Herpes Virus is 100% curable. I refer Dr VOODOO to everyone out there with the virus Email: voodoospelltemple66@gmail.com Add Dr voodoo on whatsApp +2348140120719

    ReplyDelete